December 25, 2007

Believe in yourself


Raghav Sachar, an up-coming music director and a self-taught master of 30 musical instruments shares a moment with, Anita Iyer

  • Tell us something about your background? Do you come from musical lineage?
I do not have a musical lineage but my father’s natural interest in music developed a musical talent in me too. I remember my father who was a Police DG and he had gifted me the first ever-musical instrument ‘Harmonica’ on my fourth birthday and since then he gifted me a new instrument on every birthdays.

  • Did you have a craze to learn to play so many instruments from the childhood itself?
I had a fetish for musical instruments right from the beginning. On every birthday I received an instrument and today I play 30 musical instruments including saxophone, harmonica, flute etc. Looking at the instrument, I knew I could play it. As a child, when I used to play the instrument people used to appreciate my talent, this was a motivating factor for me to perform well.

  • What are the instruments you play?

The harmonica, flute, three kinds of saxophones, the keyboard, the clarinet, the recorder, the blues harp, the guitar and the didgeridoo (a long wooden flute) are some of them.

  • Where did you perform during your initial years?

My father admitted me in a music school in Delhi when I was eight and that further brushed my musical talent. I used to love playing the guitar during my school days and was a part of the rock band - “Canzona”. Along with this band, I traveled all over India and played at IIT Institutions, BITS Pilani etc.

  • As a budding artist, who were your inspirations?

I was fond of R D Burman and Mohammed Rafi in my initial years. I used to love Kenny G and his music.

  • How did you get started with your career in music?

I used to perform with Canzona rock band and others too. In the meantime, I was involved in making jingles with Shantanu Moitra and Daniel B George. Later in 2001, I went to Monash University in Australia to study Music & Composition and I also specialized in Jazz. When in Australia, I was called by Shantanu Moitra for playing in albums for Shubha Mudgal and Viva. Later, when I came to India I worked on Bollywood flicks like Kal Ho Na Ho, Hum Tum, Kyon Ho Gaya Na, Parineeta and Dhoom, Parineeta and a few more.

  • How did you land up being a music composer of ‘Kabul Express’?

I was called for by Yashraj clan for instrumentation of old Yashraj songs. While the proposal was in process, one person saw my composition and they asked if I would like to pitch music for their movie Kabul Express. I readily agreed and the rest is history. Kabul Express was a hit but the instrumentation album never took off!

  • Your songs have a lot of western influence complete with jazz to Arabic tones?

While I went for my education abroad, I travelled extensively in South East Asia performing at places like Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia etc. So, when I compose there is a blend of music inspired from different countries, so you can hear diverse genres and fusions in my music. Also, my soul and essence is Indian but education is western so there is again a blend.

  • You have worked for Bollywood songs and also albums. So, what do you love doing the most?

I enjoy doing my albums, as my albums are mirror images of events that have happened in my life. The visuals in the video are triggered by personal experiences and my feelings are penned as lyrics in the songs. Whereas, when you compose for movies, there are restrictions. At a point your freedom ends and you have to follow what the director says so your creativity gets restricted.

  • How lucrative or challenging is it to perform shows in India and abroad?

Internationally, the audience has a better understanding of the western instruments I play. Also, in India, more importance is given to the singers than the musicians.

  • What are you currently working on?

‘Play it loud’ is my recent album, besides that I am composing tracks for movies by Kumar Mangat like Sunday, Halle Dil etc and also some prominent banners.

  • Did you even guess that you would achieve so much so early in life?

I think I was lucky as I started off with my career at an early age and also had my bachelors in music. What further came as a boon was that I got noticed and my music was liked by people.

  • Now that you have tasted success what is the mantra of your success for aspiring talents?

My advice would be remain focused and be determined to the field. Always believe in yourself and no obstacles can pull you down.

No comments: